Bryan-David S

Verified Reviewer

I was a regular customer for over 40 years. I am furious with them.

Southwest Airlines - I was a regular customer for over 40 years. I am furious with them.

Southwest Airlines used to be the affordable, friendly airline. I regularly promoted them, often successfully converting family, friends, and colleagues to Southwest Airlines customers.

I am a celebrity Chef.

I fly incessantly. Our sons fly home often. What used to be a $49 or $69 flight, suddenly became $550 - $650. Southwest Airlines used to lead the industry.

They used to care about Americans. Now, they've joined the ranks of companies determined to screw hard-working Americans.

I am appalled that despite calling them out publicly in response to a recent LinkedIn ad, not one response from SW.

Integrity matters. Greed has thick fangs, and when it catches you, the bite will kill.

Southwest Airlines, bring back the passion for excellence and caring about Americans the way Herb Kelleher and the old board did.

Brand the heart Southwest Airlines used to care about on your conscience if any of you have one anymore.

I am one of thousands of angry, frustrated, and deeply disappointed customers.

You helped me decide to start a new show where I expose and call out brands/companies that are choosing to hurt Americans with greed and total failure to care for customer retention.

You are the first of many. By the way, my network encompasses America (US and Canada), Mexico, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore, most of Europe and a few countries in South America.

I'm a peaceable man, but when people are being bullied, I do insert myself into the situation to protect and defend.

Bryan-David Scott

Pros:
  • Amazing talent
Cons:
  • Care more about fattening profits than people
  • Prices are now matching other airlines

Preferred solution: Price reduction

User's recommendation: Call, write, however you can reach Southwest Airlines, file a grievance. Demand that they care more for people than money.

Joseph A Ehn

Need reinbursement for baggage

Southwest Airlines - Need reinbursement for baggage

Hello, this is Joseph Albers. My 95-year-old grandma, Betty Albers, and I flew from Tampa, FL, to Denver, and then from Denver to Santa Ana where I live this past Saturday, the 11th of May. Four other members of my family flew from Tampa to Denver, where they live. Worrying about missing flight 1110 from Tampa to Denver, I had my dad check my bag under his name. Upon reaching Denver, I had to grab my bag from the baggage claim and then re-check it to Santa Ana, which required me to pass through security again. At the time, I did not add anything to the bag, and its weight stayed at 37.7 lbs., the same as when my dad initially checked it. The bag's weight was never flagged as an issue.

I re-checked the bag under my name for flight 3322 to SNA. My grandmother had two bags checked, both under 20 lbs., and I had just the one bag registered. When we arrived at the gate and attempted to board, my grandmother's boarding pass triggered a strange beep. It turned out there was a problem with our luggage, and we were asked to visit a kiosk. There, we were told we owed $125 for one of our bags.

I contested this, explaining there must be a mistake because my single bag and my grandmother's two bags were not overweight. The attendant made a call and was told one of our bags was overweight. I was baffled, explaining that I had just flown from Tampa to Denver with the same bag, and it wasn't flagged as overweight. Her response was that they must have missed it, and that the only way for us to board was to pay the $125 and seek reimbursement later.

Upon landing, I went directly to the baggage claim department and asked if they had a scale. Although they didn't, the attendant, familiar with handling bags, agreed that mine did not seem overweight. I weighed the bag immediately afterward and took a picture — it was still 37.7 lbs., not remotely close to 50.

This experience has been extremely frustrating and draining. At the very least, I need my money back, and I'm prepared to contest the payment with my bank if necessary. I've already made a reimbursement request for a delayed or canceled flight, as that was the only available option and I was told to explain what happened in the notes. Since there was no place to do it there, I'm doing it here. The case number is 9123****.

Loss:
Pros:
  • 1st come 1st serve seating
  • Free wifi
  • Usually free bags
Cons:
  • Charged while boarding for overweight bag thats not overweight

Preferred solution: Full refund

User's recommendation: make Sure you have enough money for an overweight bag even if your bag is 13 lbs under the limit!

Resolved
Angele L Jen

Verified Buyer

Resolved: Extra fee charged on credit card

Southwest Airlines - Extra fee charged on credit card
Southwest Airlines - Extra fee charged on credit card - Image 2
Southwest Airlines - Extra fee charged on credit card - Image 3
Updated by user Feb 17, 2024

Company fixed the issue and I have been provided with apology. Slope with rep got resolved

Original review Feb 05, 2024
Credit card was charged twice we noticed this and need a explanation for these charges can you give me the phone number to dial so Ivan talk to a living person

map-marker Saint Louis, Missouri

My boarding pass did not have a TSA on it

Southwest Airlines - My boarding pass did not have a TSA on it
I spoke with a very nice lady and she said Im her and the TSA showed up with my reservation on my end. The boarding pass when I print it did not have it so she texted me what she was looking at and again it does not have TSA checkmark on that boarding pass I dont know what shes looking at. She said it was above my name and its not there unless TSA change the way theyre indicating a TSA pre-check
michael b Ild

Verified Reviewer

Business flights are wrongly named

We recently completed a flight on Southwest Airlines from Buffalo to Las Vegas. I booked business select flights expecting to find a better seat and a few extras.

However, this is not the case with Southwest. The business select only gives you priority to board; there is no reserved seating. It's like a free-for-all to get a seat. Confusion and stupidity reign with what they call open seating.

There is no in-flight entertainment other than using your phone or tablet to connect to their system. We like to travel with backpacks which had to be stored under the seat in front of us, leaving us with no legroom on a 5-hour flight. Hard luggage is given priority for overhead lockers, thereby penalizing considerate people for travelling light. In-flight snacks were a total waste of time, and the staff mix your drinks before serving them in a very small plastic cup.

Seats are very uncomfortable and cramped. A warning to folks, business select is not worth the extra cost.

It should be labelled economy plus as it's very poor service all around. I will never travel on Southwest again; this was a terrible experience.

Pros:
  • No pros
Cons:
  • Better description of seat status

Preferred solution: Apology

User's recommendation: Avoid Southwest airlines

‘Business Class’ and Southwest’, surely a contradiction in terms

Efrain D Pia

On Your app I can't change my flight

Southwest Airlines - On Your app I can't change my flight
Southwest Airlines - On Your app I can't change my flight - Image 2
Hello, it took two phone calls and I got with a Courtney on the phone and she was awesome. What she did was cancel my flight and reinstated a brand new flight and I was able to get in to change my flight thank you Courtney you made my day
Pros:
  • No fees to change flights or luggage
Cons:
  • Tickets could cost more money

Preferred solution: Access to my change flight info.

User's recommendation: Well, I’ve this problem ever comes up again. They know what to do re-issue you a new flight.

chrichelle c

Hacked my account

Southwest Airlines - Hacked my account
Hi, someone hacked my account by using SOUTHWES. I was debited amounting USD 636.460. Please check this as urgent matter. Thank you

Preferred solution: Hacked my account

Linda C Hhy

File complaint

Southwest Airlines - File complaint
Southwest Airlines - File complaint - Image 2
Southwest Airlines - File complaint - Image 3
Southwest Airlines - File complaint - Image 4
Southwest Airlines - File complaint - Image 5
Linda Castillo and Richard Rubin flew SW 1115 from Houston to Jamaica on Thursday, March 21, 2024. The flight was delayed at least 1.5 hrs (scheduled to leave at 11:00am but did not leave until around 1:00pm. Much to our disappointment our luggage was outdoors in pouring rain, and as such, when we arrived in Jamaica our suitcases were soaking wet. The contents inside our suitcases were soaking wet as well.
Cons:
  • No assigned seating for business select customers

map-marker Houston, Texas

Southwest Airlines - Thumbs up
No problem here, just wanted to thank Southwest Airlines for a job. Well done. The pilots for Southwest Airlines are awesome people. They just do not get thanked every day for a job well done, I appreciate them and I honor them with all honors. Theyre the ones who are our heroes, Thanks again for being a great airline!
Paula B Zzg

Verified Buyer

| map-marker Saint Petersburg, Florida

Bad customer service with a disabled

Ive had two incidents with your airline personal working the area of letting people on. Im disabled and traveling with my cat. Ive gone out to California to see spine doctor for fixing my cervical spine and then to do my lower spine. I just had a left hip operation on July 11th of 2023. I need major neck surgery and lower spine surgery and left TAMPA Florida to seek real professional doctors to help me. Your reservation, check on people into plane? Are the worst. Im 65 years old and my sister had a major fire at her home in Los Angeles and I needed to get back to Saint Petersburg Florida to sign up for Medicare and get clearance for my upcoming surgery in Los Angeles. I had all my medical papers and CDs plus my other inf. Im disgusted by them making me take a flight at 6:15 am tomorrow and leaving me to sleep on the floor with my cat who cant eat nor drink nor defecate. How do you allow bad people whom I felt were totaly racist and treat me like *** No apology no nothing. Pulled me off second leg of trip from Denver to TAMPA Florida with nowhere to go and Im disabled. With a cat. Two African American Men chose to screw me up cause they could. Eddy was one of them and the other guy with EDdy was rude and acted like a dictator. Im not taking crap from any nationalities or what we call ethnic groups. Your airline is the only airline that has done this to me and Im a Wild life Photographer who has traveled the world. Not now because Im disabled and your airline did nothing to help me for the second time going to Los Angeles from TAMPA FLORIDA. I had a limo service picking me up tonight! I have other doctors to see then I fly to Boston to see specialist for my rare keinbocks disease. Your people should be fired and not ever allowed to work with disabled people. They kicked me to the curb and it was a racist decision. I will file a suit against Southwest if Im not reimbursed for my total flight from TAMPA on September 20th to November 4th. 2023. 2TWV7R. No accommodations no reason for taking me off the plane. I never threatened anyone nor was I beligerante to anyone. Two black guys decided to mess with me. WHY? BECAUSE THEY CAN!!! Im a minority and Im not a racist but I sure am treated as one because Im Jewish. So I want to be reimbursed for all my troubles. Total airfare, Cancellation of my limo service, all the damage my cat will cause due to no food or water. No hotel to sleep in no nothing. Twice your airline screwed me over and guess what? Your airline sucks! Cracking jokes that are so un called for and your airline thinks its cute that they can make snide remarks but their way off base. Your airline lacks in proper departure times and has the most canceled flights and they discriminate as they chose to people they dont like. Well? Im taking this to lawyers for your airline is racist and its too woke for me. I want my monies returned and Im never flying your airline again. I cant trust not getting a seat and your method of people choose their own seating upon if their in A B C is totally why your never on time cause it creates problems for everybody. Free luggage? Who cares! You need to assign seats and get your airline folks to cut their *** from their joking mouths and gst real. Who made these black men my jury and executioners? They should be fired for their racist!!! They call whites racists? Im just an elderly woman trying to get home and Im In so much pain and your airline threw me to the curb! Racist black men? Im hurting with surgical hip replacement and I need my whole neck replacement with fake discs and my lower back. I cant believe your staff for your airlines are so ignorant of elderly people plights. I want my whole ticket refunded and if one more of your staff is racist towards me, being Jewish? Well? They can lie and lie all they want but Im truly upset and will never recommend your airline to anybody and it has a bad track reputation of racism. How can somebody put an elderly person with records showing my disabilities and not give a dam? When I check in tomorrow? If Im given one ounce of crap your gonna have a huge lawsuit for many many people are complaining about your ground crews. I had appointments tomorrow in TAMPA. I have to get my cat home. No good no water no where to *** No place to sleep and I was takin offf your aircraft because I was Jewish and the black men can make up what they want. Everyone hates Jews and Arabs. So I say? I want lots of reimbursement for all the two times your airline screwed me over. Cause Im a Jew?

Im disgusted with how your company handles elderly people. Shame shame on them and their racist!!! Its happening all over your country and its In the news.

I want total reimbursement tomorrow. I want on my flight and I dont want no stupid jokes from your airline personal because this time in our government and the world governments, dont need to act like Im a terrorist or a nutcase. I have extreme medical conditions and Ive got my cat and my sisters home in Los Angeles just went on fire and is unlivable. How dare your black people at the gate treat people unfairly. Cause? We are the minority! Big issues and you all should smarten up! You will loose many many customers.

Sincerely,

Paula Barrette Tighe

Cons:
  • Ground boarding personnel

User's recommendation: Don’t fly with an airline with a reputation of cancelled flights and buying old aircraft’s that have already been retired. They slap on some paint and away you go. I must say I have never had issues with the flight crew or the pilots. They are extremely nice and give wonderful service. My issues have been with the ground crew whom check your tickets and allow one onto the plane. Not anyone should tell another person, ground crew, to not speak to anybody. Racist people don’t deserve to even be acknowledged let alone work for anybody in the service industry. Fly direct and pay more. For what one encounters flying Southwest? Are nothing but arguments people get into with one another due to seating as you please. Slows down the time aircraft takes off and lands. This airline should know better and be more flexible and understanding of another individual’s sickness. Rudeness is uncalled for and lack of giving you a reason as to why they come in the plane and remove you? What right do they have? I’m not a terrorist and I’m not belligerent nor am I against people of other races or religions or sexual preferences. I’m just a woman needing help and two African American men caused havoc upon me. Why? Cause they can! Because? I’m white and we’ve all been told that we are the ones whom are prejudice. Right!!!

Guest

" Im 65 years old and my sister had a major fire at her home in Los Angeles " I love how old people love to pad lame complaints with irrelevant factoids. No one cares about your sister's house burning in the context of your lame complaint.

No one cares about your age in the context of your lame complaint. Neither of these factoids is relevant to your alleged issue.

Jocelyn M Idm

Damaged bag

Original review May 22, 2024
My daughter's and my luggage were severely damaged between Los Angeles and Phoenix. So far, Southwest has done nothing to compensate me. Both pieces of luggage suitcases are now unusable.
Loss:
Pros:
  • Friendly staff
  • Usually reliable
  • Cares about customers

Preferred solution: Baggage replacement for 2 bags

Ryan S Jho

Verified Reviewer

Trying to redeem my travel credits due to being scammed.

I have called several times now with multiple case numbers. They call and leave a message as I'm at work without a number and name to call back at customer engagement. I had a family emergency last August and I paid $150 to have credits for up to a year. They said I scheduled a flight to Indianapolis and no showed for it last September. That was not me. I have no reason to fly there and was scammed. I want to get my credits back so that we can go on vacation. I will go to the bitter end on this as this airline doesn't care about their customers. My number is (210)801-****. Thanks, Ryan Stump
Loss:

Preferred solution: Give my credits back as I was not scammed. I didn't schedule and miss the flight they said I did.

User's recommendation: Stay away from this airline.

Binyamin Gtc

Flight Attendant Assault onboard

Onboard SOUTHWEST AIRLINES flight from Phoenix to Ft Lauderdale, just as the door closed to leave, I was assaulted by the Flight Attendant. As I was saying goodbye to my husband on my phone, a male flight attendant leaned past two passengers to jab his fingers into my shoulder.

I was sitting in the window seat and suddenly felt pain in my shoulder from this male flight attendant's assault. I recently had rotator cuff surgery, and I was shocked that a man just poked me there. I am a 63 year old woman, and I pre-boarded due to disabilities. When I looked at him he said "turn off your cell phone now".

The preparation announcements were just being made when this assault took place. As I said, I was telling my husband goodbye . With doors flying off, DEI hiring of pilots, and all the horrors of flying, I ALWAYS tell my husband I love him just before I take off. I did nothing wrong, and certainly, NO FLIGHT ATTENDANT HAS THE RIGHT TO JAB HIS HAND INTO ANYONE'S SHOULDER.

Well, I contacted Southwest Airlines and they essentially called me a liar. (It took a month for a response from SWA) I provided them with full details and also a photograph of this flight attendant. Their delayed response was that the feedback of the crew member was that he did not recall. They quoted their policy: "Once the entry doors are closed in preparation for pushback, cellular voice and data functions must be turned off".

So instead of being appalled and sorry for this assault, they implied somehow I did not know about turning off cell phones. EVERYONE KNOWS THAT, yet NO ONE SHOULD BE physically assaulted by a flight attendant. SWA doesn't have the right to lay hands on a passenger. My complaint was completely blown off, and swept under the rug by SWA.

They ended the correspondence by "We hope you will fly Southwest Airlines again and that your support and confidence is very important to us". ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Why would I fly them again after they physically assaulted me? So after they assaulted a 63 year old woman with disabilities they took no responsibility, They we're very clear that somehow it was my fault that I was assaulted.

Well, I am done flying SWA. There are better airlines that value their passengers and treat their passengers with respect.

Preferred solution: Satisfied that other potential SWA customers know about my experience.

User's recommendation: Don't fly Southwest Airlines

Marcelline Syr

if you knew that the cell phones should be turned off why did you not turn your cell phone off?

Guest

Translation: My lame call was more important than following directions that would allow a plane full of people to get on their way. I started drama and was upset that my attitude was matched.

Now, I'm acting as if I was beaten up. You are a horrible person...

Guest

Did you file a police report upon landing?

reply icon Replying to comment of Guest-2491930

Of course she didn’t. She had to keep the outcome open ended because the police telling her “No ma’am, you were not assaulted” would ruin the story that you know she told 76 times by now.

On a separate note her husband is pretending to learn Spanish so he can keep ear pods in. And her book club purposely picked a lesbian themed book so she wouldn’t show up.

View more comments (3)

Airline Expert Talks

Airlines making masks optional | How to travel safely this season?

May 25, 2020

Airlines announce mask-optional policy. A travel expert, Jamie Larounis, talks about dropped mask mandate on airplanes and what it means for travelers.

Jamie Larounis
Jamie Larounis

Jamie Larounis is a travel industry analyst with the Upgraded Points who shares tips on hotels, airlines, trains, and loyalty programs.

map-marker Cypress, Texas

Southwest Airlines - Thumbs up
No problem here, just wanted to thank Southwest Airlines for a job. Well done. The pilots for Southwest Airlines are awesome people. They just do not get thanked every day for a job. Well done I appreciate them and I honor them with all honors. Theyre the ones who are our heroes, Thanks again for being a great airline!

User's recommendation: Please be patient you don’t know what these airline captains and flight attendants have to go through on a daily basis to get you to your destination have a little heart and respect. It takes a lot of training and practice to fly those planes in bad weather, as well as fair weather I should know I’m a pilot to.

Kimetra N

Problem Not Solved

Southwest did not address the issue I brought forth. The policy of no refunds is harsh under my circumstances.

I changed my flight to the next day because of erroneous info from my party. I had to pay extra to change the flight to the next day. I was told almost immediately after the change that the info was erroneous, so I changed it back to the day before on the same flight.

I called and asked southwest for a refund or flight credit before I took the flight and the customer service person said no. No refunds.

I hung up and got her again when I called back and she hung up in my face which was also unacceptable.

I took the flight but I still tried to get relief. I called two more times and spoke to two more customer service representatives that ended up in me emailing my complaint because I was told that my change was voluntary so there would be no refund. Southwest wasn’t going to give back my money. But I could email my complaint to see what decision would be made.

The response to my email did not directly address the fact that I never even took the flight for the next day.

I immediately switched it back as if I never made the change. It amounts to unjust enrichment under the circumstances. $340 was paid for the next day flight. All southwest said this time was that the change to a new flight was as if I had canceled the original flight and booked a new one that was more expensive.

Well okay, if that’s the case, I would like a refund or flight credit if it is considered a new flight because I never took it! It canceled itself when I booked again with the flight on the day before. There is no prompt where it gives me options on what I want done with the canceled flight (new date?

Flight credit?) once the change is made. I literally *have* to appeal to customer service for options but southwest has yet to give me any relief at all.

Guest

Shut the *** up. The issue was resolved. You can keep your misinformed, 2 cent commentary to yourself.

Guest

This is an easy fix. Review the terms YOU accepted.

Find a clause that allows for a refund based on your issue and you'll be fine.

If YOU accepted terms that said no refunds, then YOU are stuck like chuck Keisha.... Next time, read what you accept..

View more comments (1)
Caris Eox
map-marker El Segundo, California

Lost item

First of all, I was not pissed. I lost my drivers license at the airport before I went through security. I was able to get through security with an old drivers license and other identifying information. Even though this created a lot of anxiety, I would not say that I was pissed. Not even sure why I got this email.

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content
  • PissedConsumer is on the Inc. 5000 list

For more information read Blog article